Carrot-Parsnip terrine with roasted sea scallops and parsnip chips in a basil sauce
1. Peel the thick carrots and cut them into thin strips as wide as possible using a potato peeler. Wash and peel the early carrots. First, blanch the small carrots in boiling salt water for approximately 3 minutes, then cook the carrot strips for approximately 1 minute until firm to the bite. Chill the carrots in cold water and allow to dry on a sieve.
2. Peel the shallots and dice finely. Clean, peel, and dice 500 g of parsnips. Braise half of the shallots and parsnip cubes in 1 tbsp butter. Deglaze with the wine, add the vegetable stock, and steam in a covered pot over low heat for approximately 20 minutes. Season with pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Puree cooked parsnips in a food processor, spread over a sieve. Soak gelatin in cold water. Crush the soaked gelatin and allow it to melt in the warm vegetable puree. Allow the puree to cool. Beat 250 g cream until stiff, fold into puree.
3. Cover a small furrowed or loaf pan (approximately 20 cm) smoothly with plastic wrap. Cover the form with lightly-overlapping carrot strips, allow the strips to reach over the edge. Layer the parsnip puree, several basil leaves, and the prepared carrots. Overlap the carrot strips, chill the foil-covered form in the refrigerator until firm for at least 4 hours, or, if possible, overnight.
4. Chop the remaining basil leaves, puree finely with 3 tbsp butter. Put in a cold place. Melt 1 tbsp butter and saute the rest of the shallots. Add fish stock and cream and reduce by half. Cut the remaining parsnips into fine slices with the potato peeler. Fry the parsnip strips in the remaining oil until golden brown and allow them to dry on paper towels.
5. Rinse sea scallops, pat dry and sear quickly in 2 tbsp oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Puree the basil leaves in the boiling fish stock.
6. Take out the terrine, remove foil. Cut the terrine in pieces and place on plates with sea scallops, parsnip chips, and basil puree.
Per serving approximately 370 kcal, 28 g fat, 18 g carbohydrates, 10 g protein.
Preparation time approximately 40 minutes.
Waiting time Cooking time: approximately 30 minutes.