LAYERED WALNUT CAKE WITH RASPBERRIES & CREAM CHEESE VANILLA FROSTING
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine 375g butter, caster sugar and dark brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 10 minutes, until very light.
2. Whisk the eggs, yolks, yoghurt, rum and half the vanilla, then add to the butter mixture while beating on low speed. Sift the flour, spices, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar together twice, then fold in gently.
3. Place the walnuts in a food processor and grind until very fine, then fold into the batter. Spoon into three lined 20cm cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a skewer can be inserted ad removed cleanly. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Combine the cream cheese remaining butter, icing sugar and remaining vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer then beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 10 minutes, until very light.
5. Spread one-third of the icing on one cake, spread flat, then top with a punnet of raspberries. Stack a second cake on top and repeat. Place the final cake on top, then use the remaining icing to cover the cake. Serve with the remaining raspberries.
COOK’S NOTE: Sifting the flour mixture is essential for this cake, as it helps to ensure that the payers will rise flat, making it easier to assemble. If your cakes do get peaks, simply trim with a serrated bread knife.